We all know how striking imagery can help immensely when building your brand in digital space. The rise in popularity of platforms like Instagram is proof of this. Well composed, appropriate visuals can pull a viewer in, but what many people overlook is the power of the unseen, specifically music. Music, working hand in hand with video, is a powerful tool to engage the viewer and help them experience the feeling of the story. It is an almost universal language that speaks to our innermost selves. The right music makes the visuals more valuable and the product seemingly more meaningful. One could call it a shortcut to a deeper connection between your brand and its audience. Because of this, you should always consider adding appropriate music during content creation.
Using your favorite artist’s music in your post may seem like an exciting concept, but unless you have the budget to pay for royalties you will need to look for more creative solutions. Luckily, there are tons of sites out there that offer great, royalty-free music that you can use free-of-charge. Here is a list of five sites to get you started:
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by M E G/ Style’d Avenue (@meg_legs) on Dec 31, 2018 at 2:16pm PST
@meg_legs with a great example of Instagram video content with added music
Where to Find Music for Instagram
- #1: Epidemic Sound has made a name for itself as one of the best sites to get free music. Established in 2009, the service has a stated goal of making potential outcomes and advantages around music in all stages – both for the ones who form it and the ones who use it. They offer a 30-day free trial, but their paid subscription is totally worth it. They boast a library of over 30,000 tracks and over 60,000 sound effects, all copyright free. As an added bonus, if you decide to cancel your subscription, your previous content will still be covered.
- #2: As the name suggests, Free Stock Music is a site that offers royalty-free stock music free to use, with no attribution required. This no-fuss service offers thousands of tracks in various formats such as MP3, WAV, & AIFF. Their library covers a range of genres such as Cinematic, Hip-Hop, Rock & Roll, and Corporate. So whatever your needs, they probably have you covered.
- #3: Josh Woodward is a musician who writes, records, and produces a variety of music himself, usually with vocals. The site features over ten albums totaling over two hundred songs. His library is sorted by genre, theme, and mood; making searching for that right track a breeze. You can also refine your search by filtering by tempo and length. All his music is free to use, just give him credit and link his site.
- #4: Machinima Sound offers a wide variety of tracks in differing genres. It’s normally a paid service, but they do offer free tracks. The trick is to search for the ones marked as “legacy”. The files are available in MP3 format, and require attribution.
- #5: And finally, TeknoAXE is home to over a thousand tracks, with more added weekly. The music is available in MP3 format and covers multiple genres. Tracks on the site are covered by CC 4.0, and requires citation that complies with that license.
Adding Music to Instagram Stories
Step #1Step #2Step #3
Step #4Step #5Step #6
Now that you have your tracks, you can add music to your Instagram Stories. It’s actually not that hard, and there are two ways to do it. The first involves using a Music Sticker. Once you’ve taken a video, tap the “Stickers” button at the top of the screen. The music option should appear alongside the other sticker options. If you haven’t already found a song that suits you, you can tap on the icon to search the Instagram music library, where you’ll find thousands of songs to choose from. You can even preview the track before making your choice. When you have your song, you can fast forward and rewind through the track to find the exact part that fits your story. There is also the option of shooting a video in Music Shooting Mode. To start, you need to select Music and Snippet before you pressing the shutter button. Then you just select a track from your library; pick an appropriate cover art, then select a part of the song you want to begin with. After that, it’s a simple matter of pressing and holding the shutter button to record a clip, which you can then add to your story.
Apps for Adding Music to Instagram Video
- #1: Available on both iTunes and Google Play, Lomotif is one of the more popular apps out there. It lets you add songs from thousands of artists, as well as gives you the ability to scrub audio like a DJ, add slo-mo, and other fun effects.
- #2: Quik is a great free app brought to you by the creators of GoPro. It lets you add music from its built-in library or from your own music collection with just a few taps on the screen. You can also make creative edits to your videos, as well as add filters and other effects.
- #3: Formerly known as Flipgram, Vigo Video is not just a music app. It lets you fully customize your videos from start to finish. You can use the built-in music library to add your favorite songs before posting, or edit still photos together to create a musical slideshow. The app also works as a community, allowing content creators to share and collaborate.
We hope this helps you take advantage of the added depth music can give your videos. It may seem like extra effort, but the added emotional connection with your audience is worth it!