Instagram Tips for Beginners
So you’ve decided to join 32% of internet users that are also on Instagram.
It’s a huge social media platform with active daily users of around 500 million. Plenty have made names for themselves using Instagram, they've utilized it to boost their business or brand, or simply shared their lives and creativity to friends and family. But how did they begin their Instagram journey?
Don’t worry, you’re not late into the game. Instagram is consistently growing and developing, and it’s not too hard to post content, get likes, and grow your following.
Firstly, you need to make sure your profile is all set up. Here’s what your profile should have, even before you’ve posted your first photo or story:
- A strong username - this can be your name, business, or brand. Something that doesn’t come off as generic or computer generated.
- A profile photo - this is the first thing people see when you follow them, so choose something identifiable like a headshot, selfie, or your logo.
- A brief bio - something brief, catchy, and straight to the point. Does your business or brand have a tagline? You can even use emojis as shorthand to tell future followers what you’re all about.
Posting ‘Instagram-worthy’ Photos
- Plan your feed: What kind of content do you want to share on Instagram? Putting some thought into what you want to post will help you plan the overall look and tone of your Instagram feed. It’s not just about the latest photo you’re uploading - it’s about how this photo fits in with your overall composition. Browse through popular Instagram profiles for inspiration on how you can plan your feed. A cohesive feed from the get-go will attract followers a lot faster than simply posting for the sake of it. For more tips on growing a successful Instagram page, check out our article, 6 Key Steps to Having a Successful Instagram Page.
- Post high quality images: Since Instagram is a photo-sharing platform, photos that are high quality do very well. There’s a smorgasbord of photo editing apps you can download that can turn simple camera photos into top-notch photography. You can use Instasize to retouch photos, add text, or even create collages.
- Use geotags and hashtags: If you want to get more followers, make sure to use tags in your captions and add a location to your posts. This makes your content easy to discover, and allows those who might be interested in your content to find you, without having to invite them or advertise your account on other social media sites.
- Post Consistently: The more active you are, the more people will see you’re worth following. Set up a posting schedule you can manage and stick by it. You don’t have to flood your followers with constant posts. Share Stories, and save your best work for your feed.
- Stay on top of trends and experiment: Instagram is always in flux. The way people use it constantly changes, and you’ll experience consistent growth when you’re aware of the trends and make it your own. If you see a trend that might fit your Instagram aesthetic, go for it!
Getting Your First Followers
A good way to get people to follow you is by following them first. Start with your Facebook friends. Share a link to your Instagram on other social media platforms. Follow top accounts and influencers and engage with their content.
Engagement is an important metric on Instagram. If you want people to follow your account, or like and comment on your posts, you should do the same with them. The more people that engage with your content, the likelier it is that you will be found by more users that could potentially give you a follow. For more engagement boosting tactics check out our article, How to Boost Instagram Engagement Rates for Your Content.
It’s never too late to get into Instagram! It’s a great platform for connecting with others and sharing your life creatively, or even growing your business and brand. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself and post content that you're genuinely interested in. The best part of Instagram is the constant need for creative curation - don't be afraid to try new techniques!
Looking for more helpful Instagram tips? Check out this highly detailed guide to Instagram marketing and promotion from our friends at Photoslurp.