There’s no use denying it, we live increasingly visible lives. Social media gives us a glimpse into each other’s lives. What we eat, who you meet; it’s all there. Most people get a kick out of seeing and being seen online. We are, after all, relentlessly social creatures. These snippets are exactly the content that an Instagram story excels at featuring. The service lets you post photos and short video clips together with text, filters, or other embellishments into a story that gives users a brief glimpse into your life. While most people use the service for fun, it does have the potential to be a powerful tool in building and marketing your brand. With over 400 million users, Instagram stories far outpace its closest competitors. That means if you want your brand to reach as many eyeballs as possible, the platform is the best place to start.
The Benefits of Instagram Stories
But how do Instagram stories differ from regular Instagram posts? Well, unlike regular Instagram posts, Instagram stories are ephemeral. What this means is that when you create Instagram story posts, they only remain visible for 24 hours at a time. Additionally, a video inside your story can last up to 15 seconds before cutting to the next piece of content (but there are ways around that, more on this in a minute). This may seem like a negative, but the limited nature of the posts can actually create a sense of exclusivity, and help create hype around your brand. An added benefit of this feature is that you can use your Instagram story posts as a testing exercise to see what works best – the posts automatically drop off after twenty-four hours, so if one does not perform as well as you would like, it’s not the end of the world. Another difference is that Instagram stories are also discoverable. That means people who don’t follow you can see your posts, too! So in the same way you might see accounts you’re not used to in your stories feed, other users will see yours. It’s a great way to make new followers.
The good news is creating an Instagram story post is easy! You can use Instagram itself to create and post your stories. All you need to do is tap the camera icon in the upper left-hand corner of your phone. You can then share a photo or video you already captured by swiping up on your screen to browse your gallery. Alternately, you can select a camera lens to capture an image or shoot a video in the app. Once you've edited your photo or video, tap "Your Story," or tap "Next" to share it to your Story and to other friends at the same time. Super easy, right?
Using Instasize to Create Great Instagram Stories
But what if you want to bypass some of the native features of the platform (like having a video segment appear to last longer than fifteen seconds)? To give you more freedom when you create Instagram story posts, Instasize lets you create and edit your story before you post.
- #1: To start, open Instasize. Then simply tap the plus icon to upload a video or photo you want to add to your Instagram story. You can upload a photo directly from your device or straight from the cloud. The app even allows you to upload multiple photos in a collage.
- #2: On the editing screen, crop your image by selecting an aspect ratio. You can also edit your photo manually; just keep in mind that Instagram stories uses an aspect ratio of 1080 pixels wide by 1920 pixels tall, also known as the 16:9 aspect ratio.
- #3: The app also lets you adjust the settings of your photo or video. At this step, you can play around with brightness, tint, exposure, contrast, sharpness, warmth, and a whole lot more.
- #4: You can also add text styles by tapping the “T” icon and selecting any font-design in the app’s library. Editing the position and size of your text is as easy as tapping and holding the black circle located on the text field.
- #5: Once you are done, simply save it to your device and upload it to Instagram and create your own Instagram story post.
Updating social media can sometimes be a chore, but Instagram stories allow you to have a bit of fun and showcase what makes you unique. So take advantage of it! Show your audience a different side of your brand. And don’t be afraid to take your Stories to the next level with the creative control Instasize gives you.