Black and white photos, when edited right, can be some of the most beautiful and compelling photos you could create. With the absence of color, people who view the photo will be drawn even more to the content and composition of the photo.
While it’s easy to turn any photo to black and white, creating them to be stunning will require a little more tweaking, especially its Contrast and Brightness.
Contrast, which is the light and dark elements of a photo, becomes very important when you’re converting a photo to black and white. Photos with high ‘tonal contrast’- those that have very dark and very light elements usually turn into the best black and white photos.
Brightness, on the other hand, determines how light or dark your photo is overall. A well-lit and bright colored photo means it will have defined elements when you convert it to black and white, instead of a grayscale or desaturated mess that has no definition.
How to Convert Your Photos to Black and White
Instasize is a versatile photo editor with filters as well as settings you can edit and tweak to achieve your desired effect.
- Step #1: Tap the ‘+’ button at the bottom of the app’s screen to pull up photos on your phone. Tap which photo you want to edit.
- Step #2: Choose the format of your photo. You can instantly size it with dimensions perfect for Instagram, Instagram stories, or Instagram full. Tap ‘Next’.
- Step #3: From Instasize’s editor, you can choose a black and white filter like Radio. For more options, you can upgrade to a Premium account and access serveral other black and white filters as well as all the other filters available on the app.
- Step #4: Tap the filter you chose again to pull up the adjustment slider. You can increase or decrease the filter’s application on the photo.
- Step #5: Tap the sliders icon to access the photo’s adjustment settings. You can adjust settings for Brightness, Contrast, Lux, Exposure, Sharpness, Saturation, Tint, Warmth, Highlights, and Shadows. You can also apply a Grain effect or a Vignette to your photo.
- Step #6: Tap the setting you want to adjust and move the sliders until you get the desired effect.
- Step #7: For white areas you want to whiten even more, tap the face icon to pull up Instasize’s beauty tools. Tap ‘Whiten’ Adjust the slider to increase or decrease the strength of the whitening tool and then with your finger, shade parts of the photo you want to whiten. Once you’re done, tap ‘Apply’, and then tap the check mark.
- Step #8: Once you’re done editing your black and white photo, tap ‘Done’ from the upper right hand of your screen.
Using Instasize is straightforward and easy. You can play with crucial elements to make your black and white photo pop, without having to learn overly complex software.
Any photo can become a compelling black and white photo in just a few minutes if you use Instasize as your black and white photo editor.
Editing photos into black and white is great way to add depth and drama to any photo, or even making it a work of art! It might even be a fun aesthetic to add to your Instagram feed. Try it today!